Recipe #5 is a delicious Green Bean Almondine recipe I made for my 1st Annual Birthday BBQ Extravaganza.
Here is the recipe and it can be found in it’s original form here.
- 2 lbs green beans (fresh or 2 16 oz bags frozen)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large vidalia onion (sweet)
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits (1 slice crispy cooked bacon crushed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1/4 cup asiago cheese (shredded) (optional
- Steam green beans to preference.
- Cook single bacon slice until crispy (microwave in paper towel for 2 min), crush into bits (or buy pre-cooked bacon bits) and set aside approximately 2 tablespoons.
- In large saucepan, sautee thinly sliced vidalia, garlic and 2 tablespoons butter until brown. Then add 1/4 of water and let it cook down into carmelized onion sauce (not to much — really cook it down).
- In large bowl, toss green beans, carmelized onions and bacon bits. Salt to taste. Then put into casserole.
- Toast almonds with 1 tablespoon of butter (or pam) until toasty brown and brittle.
- Sprinkle almonds on top of green beans and then sprinkle shredded cheese (not too much — just for a light zing of flavor and to leave the almonds and greenbeand visible through a light lace coating of cheese).
- Pepper to tasted (cracked pepper is best).
- Set aside until just before serving and then heat in oven enough to brown the top.
Number of Servings: 12
Calories per Serving: 74
I love Green Bean Almondine, but up until now I’ve only been able to get it in restaurants. This didn’t disappoint and was absolutely delicious.
An example of the dish:
not mine, taken from Google Images